gluster-devel

Re: [Gluster-devel] Improving real world performance by moving files clo

From: Gordan Bobic
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Improving real world performance by moving files closer to their target workloads
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 01:44:04 +0100

Luke McGregor wrote:
Would there be a way of doing this without broadcasting the request
for file?

No immediately obvious way comes to mind.

how does gluster currently handle the file metadata at a low
level?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the file's location is dictated by the hash of the file's path/name.

Is there a central or distributed metadata cache?

No.

Im sort of
assuming there is some kind of full set of metadata which applies to
the whole system but from what people have been saying this is not the
case. How dows gluster work in this regard?

Metadata (e.g. file version for AFR) is attached to the file itself, and is stored in xattrs. The only exception I can think of is the striping translator, as the file is chunked across multiple nodes, but I'm not sure how that works.

Gordan