gluster-devel

Re: [Gluster-devel] Has anyone... pure nfs replacement

From: Craig Tierney
Subject: Re: [Gluster-devel] Has anyone... pure nfs replacement
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 10:57:57 -0600

Brandon Lamb wrote:
Has anyone replaced nfs with glusterfs using no afr/unify, just a pure
nfs replacement?

I ask this as a way to take a baby step into using glusterfs, first
going from nfs to glusterfs, then when these quirks that are going
around in recent threads about afr are worked out switching to
replication.

BUT, original most important question, anyone seen that glusterfs is
faster, better than using an nfs server?

I have seen good streaming performance from glusterfs that would exceed
my NFS servers.  However, since I did not run glusterfs on the exact
same hardware, I cannot say for certain that it is better.

I will need someone else to explain this further, but my important
tasks that run on NFS (compiling), NFS is still faster.  For instance,
compiling a current linux kernel takes about 400 seconds on NFS, but
about 1100 on GlusterFS.  I think this has to do with client-side
write caching, but I am not positive.  I have tried different translators
on the client to try and improve the compiling performance, but
have had no success.

I would be interesting in understanding better what is going
on and if it is fixable.

Craig