gluster-devel

[Gluster-devel] trusted.glusterfs.version xattr

From: gordan
Subject: [Gluster-devel] trusted.glusterfs.version xattr
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 20:07:46 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

Maybe I'm missing something important here, but something isn't making sense to me.

When I create a file on the glusterfs mount, it gets version of "2". All well and good. If I >> a line to it, it's version ticks up. So far so good.

If I vi the file, add a line and save it, it's version resets back to "2"!

What exactly is going on here? I'm sure that there is a perfectly good explanation here (i.e. that vi removes the file and re-creates it anew), but I just wanted to make sure this is a sane condition. Also, would this not mean that following a disconnection, all vi-ed files would get clobbered when the server reconnects and the file gets read?! This strikes me as _INCREDIBLY_ dangerous. Too dangerous for any use, in fact.

Can somebody please tell me that I'm wrong here? Because I really hope that I am.

Gordan