glug-nith-discuss

Re: [Glug-nith-discuss] Ubuntu 7.10 stability

From: vijay mateti
Subject: Re: [Glug-nith-discuss] Ubuntu 7.10 stability
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 11:34:02 +0530

> As i read on the net upgrading requires the system to be completely up
> to date???
>
> So will I have to install all the updates ???

Better you go for fresh install..i find its asking to import the
existing user profiles from  the existing OS.

I find gusty is far better at the very first glance when compared to
feisty...The only pain was i had install all the stuff like compilers
and all the tool again from repos.

The best thing about gusty was Restricted Driver manager. I had
problem with  installation of bcm43xx driver on feisty but in gusty
its pretty straight forward..It found my Nividia chipset and wireless
device needs restricted proprietary drivers. With the click of the
mouse i've installed every thing very easily and finally my wireless
device is UP :D

 I heard that there is a serious problem with feisty and with gusty
when it comes to disk mounting. I heard it is causing more wear and
tear on HDD with mounting hundreds of times every time system is
restarted. I find its true coz the fsck disk is done almost every time
im booting the machine, it says they disk has been mounted 30+ times.
It seems fix for this is not yet found. Rest of the gusty is awesome.

Cheers
Vijay