glug-nith-discuss

Re: [Glug-nith-discuss] Criticizing auto* tools

From: Arjun Shankar
Subject: Re: [Glug-nith-discuss] Criticizing auto* tools
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 13:40:58 +0530

> Why should so-called 'dumb' end-users ever do './configure && make &&
> make check && make install' ? They are much better off begging their
> distributions for a pre-compiled package. ;-)

Agreed.

It looks to me like the word 'dumb' is very relative.

'I' would be 'dumb' in this context because, apart from settling
dependencies, I don't really think I'll be able to react much to
errors in ./configure etc. But then I'm still 'smart' enough to want
to build from source from time to time. :D

But its still a nice read. Especially the part where scons and cons
are mentioned.