ghm-discuss

Re: [Ghm-discuss] Fosdem: speakers, please make your presentations avail

From: Darshit Shah
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] Fosdem: speakers, please make your presentations available!
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2017 13:06:28 +0200

Hi Alex,

Thanks for organizing a great schedule at GHM!!

Here is the PDF of the slides Tim used for the talk on Wget2

* Alex Sassmannshausen <address@hidden> [170829 17:22]:
Hello everyone,

I had a great time over the weekend, thank you all for being part of the
event once more!

Chris is working to make the recordings of the talks available as soon
as possible, and to this end, it would be very beneficial if we could
have access to the presentation materials everyone used.

Please could you reply to this email with the presentations attached?

Best wishes,

Alex

PS: To make a start, Chris, attached as an org mode file.

#+TITLE: Using Potluck to break the Guile stalemate

              Alex Sassmannshausen

* Guix Potluck: what is it?

 + Over the period of March and April, Andy Wingo wrote an extension
   to Guix that was inspired by discussions around Guix Channels
   during Fosdem.

 + The resulting code, according to email discussions on the
   guix-devel mailing list, fulfills the following roles:

   + provide a more decentralized way of developing "Guix packages"

   + provide a complement to the current set

   + provide a sloppy way to share projects, via Guix, that are still
     prototypes / work in progress

   + the explicit stated collection would be unplanned, would contain
     duplicates, and be entirely the result of user contributions

* Small detour: problem space.

 - Guile has hitherto not had a great way to share user created
   libraries, modules & applications.

 - Guix could provide an easy way to solve this problem.

* Scenario: I have a small Perl library

 - It follows standard Perl conventions

 - Guix has a Perl build system that, in this case, should just do
   the right thing.

 - I have never worked with Guix, let alone Lisp.

 - I want to leverage the awesome of Guix.

 - I've installed Guix!  :-DDDDDDDDDDDDD

 - Now, all I have in front of me is an empty text file…

                 ^---- This is the problem I'm concerned about

* After Ludo's talk: let's revisit the Guix package specification

    (define-module (gnu packages hello)
      #:use-module (guix packages)
      #:use-module (guix download)
      #:use-module (guix build-system gnu)
      #:use-module (guix licenses)
      #:use-module (gnu packages gawk))

    (define-public hello
      (package
        (name "hello")
        (version "2.10")
        (source (origin
                  (method url-fetch)
                  (uri (string-append "mirror://gnu/hello/hello-" version
                                      ".tar.gz"))
                  (sha256
                   (base32
                    "0ssi1wpaf7plaswqqjwigppsg5fyh99vdlb9kzl7c9lng89ndq1i"))))
        (build-system gnu-build-system)
        (arguments '(#:configure-flags '("--enable-silent-rules")))
        (inputs `(("gawk" ,gawk)))
        (synopsis "Hello, GNU world: An example GNU package")
        (description "Guess what GNU Hello prints!")
        (home-page "http://www.gnu.org/software/hello/";)
        (license gpl3+)))

* Looking through fresh eyes… (perhaps)

    (define-module (gnu packages hello)          \
      #:use-module (guix packages)                \
      #:use-module (guix download)                 \  Requires knowledge of
Guix module structure
      #:use-module (guix build-system gnu)         /
      #:use-module (guix licenses)                /
      #:use-module (gnu packages gawk))          /

    (define-public hello
      (package               <----- Package record is nice to read, tricky to
write in the beginning
        (name "hello")
        (version "2.10")
        (source (origin                                                       \
  What is an origin?
\
                                      ".tar.gz"))

                  (sha256

                   (base32

                    "0ssi1wpaf7plaswqqjwigppsg5fyh99vdlb9kzl7c9lng89ndq1i"))))
| How do I generate this?
        (build-system gnu-build-system)
- Which one should i use?
        (arguments '(#:configure-flags '("--enable-silent-rules")))
        (inputs `(("gawk" ,gawk)))
- Linked to module structure
        (synopsis "Hello, GNU world: An example GNU package")
        (description "Guess what GNU Hello prints!")
        (home-page "http://www.gnu.org/software/hello/";)
        (license gpl3+)))

* Is Guix Potluck a solution?

              Let's investigate!

   Let's take it for a ride!

* Let's do it!

 My WIP: Guile Config
 (changed scenario: simple Guile module)

 $ cd /to/project/dir
 $ guix potluck init https://gitlab.com/guile-projects/guile-config \
   --autotools --license=gpl3+
 $ guix build --file=guix-potluck/config
 $ guix potluck update https://gitlab.com/guile-projects/guile-config

* Well that's nice and easy!

 - OK:
   + we don't have a guile build system.
   + The GNU build system is bewildering as a new comer!
 - Let's ignore those problems for now.

 - Main points:
   + we did not start with an empty page!
   + we did not need to know where inputs are located!
   + we have access to licenses & build-systems!
   + most of the package is written for us!

* Change of scene: How is Potluck implemented?

 There are two parts.

* Guix client side

  - A WIP branch in the Guix repository

  - Implements a subcommand, `guix potluck`
    - Which uses Guix modules to allow the module contributor to
      generate a “potluck package“ — a simplified guix package.
    - Which can also "install" a repository containing a “potluck
      package“ in a potluck server.

* Server side

  - A guile server which can be passed a reference to a repository
    containing a “potluck package“.

  - It tries to build this package

  - Then adds it to a local ”source” repository: a giant git
    repository of user contributed ”potluck packages”

  - Then transforms the package into a ”guix package”, which is then
    added into a giant git repository of compiled ”potluck packages”:
    a repository of ”guix packages”.

* How it can be used

 There are two user roles

* The module producer

  - The person who wishes to contribute a module to the potluck
    repository.

  - They use the potluck subcommand to generate and upload a potluck
    package.

* The module user

  - The person who wishes to use packages that were submitted to the
    potluck repository.

  - They clone the potluck guix package repository inside a directory
    made accessible to Guix using GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH.

  - They use the normal guix commands to install any packages from
    the potluck repository.

* How can this benefit Guile [some background!]

 Guile has historically not had an effective way of distributing user
 contributed code.

 Previous attempts have revolved around:
 - Guile-Lib
 - Guile-Core
 - Dorodango/Guildhall

 The first doesn't scale, the second would accept only very high
 quality code.  The third never took off.

* Guix' impact on Guile

 Guix has caused the Guile community to grow.  I would argue that we
 have more Guile packages in Guix than in any previous attempt at
 providing a Guile package manager.

 How do we:
 a) make it easier for people to package Guile packages?
 b) accelerate the process by which we make Guile packages
    discoverable through guix?

 Some conclusions so far in general terms!!!!!!111111

* Potluck as a solution to (a)

 Potluck provides a semi-interactive script to generate guix package
 like templates.

 They can be populated fairly easily by the module
 maintainer, making generating Guix compatible packages easier for
 non-Guix users.

* Potluck as a solution to (b)

 Potluck packages generated can be shared instantly, without going
 through a QA process.

 They can then be discovered by anyone doing a git clone of the
 resulting repository: the packages become searchable by Guix.

* Potluck as staging for Guix

  Once a package attains maturity, migrating from Potluck to Guix
  should be easy: the hard work has already been done.

* What makes Potluck nice & easy to use?

 - Potluck init avoids the “empty page“ situation.

 - The Potluck package specification avoids the need to specify exact
   package variables, freeing the user from having to know the Guix
   packages file structure.

 - Potluck update makes making a package discoverable easy.

* Potluck as the solution to the Guile stalemate?

 - Potluck feels lovely to use:

   + init feels like it provides a clear user journey with instructions

   + upload has a very docker registry like feel about it in terms

   + I would argue the UI provides a friendly entry to the Guix
     adventure.

   + The potluck initiative is worth pursuing already because of the
     above factors.

* The End?

 Well,… maybe.

 There are other elements to this discussion (e.g. Guix Channels).

 I will ignore those for now.

 My main motivation: make Guile/Guix contribution easier.

 What follows here are some loose thoughts, not yet backed by code!

 (Which means: what Andy created is already infinitely more valuable
 than what I recommend, for lack of code!).

* What could be improvements to Potluck from the beginner's perspective?

 - Users should be exposed to full package references as soon as
   possible, so the start getting familiar with it:

   - When learning by reading and doing, it is better to study the
     guix package specification directly, rather than yet another format.

   - We can reinforce the already existing custom of storing a
     guix.scm file inside project repositories.

   - We make the guix package definition, which would eventually be
     used for integration into Guix immediately available to the
     package producer, thuse encouraging a transition from "Guix
     user" to "Guix contributor".

 - There is a niche for a simplified package spec for convention
   compliant, first-time Guix package contributions.

* Proposal: extend the init command!

 - allow for specifying “inputs“, “synopsis“ & ”description” on the
   command-line.

 - allow for different output types: JSON, YaML, messy-Wisp,
   messy-Guile.
   + All these would allow input etc. references as strings, and
     would automatically generate the source specifications.

 - provide an importer from JSON, YaML & messy-Wisp & messy-Guile
   packages specifications to Guile package specifications (messy
   importer).

 - The result would be a command-line utility that makes it easy to
   generate “guix.scm“ files in any project repo.

* Proposal: make the Potluck server work with package specifications.

 - We simplify the server, maintain its Continuous Integration
   capabilities & its decentralised discoverability

 - We enhance its supporting role for the Guix package manager by
   encouraging & exposing direct Guix packages.

 - We encourage migration to Guix through & Guile by encouraging
   distributed projects to provide a guix.scm file.

 NOTE: we still need to generate full Scheme modules on the server,
 to work nicely with GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH.  The local guix.scm file
 should not be a module definition: it should just be a file
 returning a package object.

* Proposed workflow

 - Within project repo:

   ;; guide through initial messy creation
   $ guix spring init --output=json > messy-guix.scm

   ;; test build from messy file: trial & error
   $ guix spring build

   ;; convert messy to full guix package specification
   $ guix spring import messy-guix.scm > guix.scm

   ;; upload/update on discoverable registry
   $ guix spring update guix.scm

* What do we gain?

 - Beginners have a command that sets them on the right path

 - Newbies can "fill in blanks" in command or simplified template
   without worrying about stringent Guix "type checking", until their
   messy definition works

 - Travellers from non lisp-y lands can work in their preferred
   declarative syntax, until it isn't good enough any more

 - We encourage adoption of a standard Guix based development workflow

 - We make dev projects with a Guix workflow "discoverable"

* The End

 - This is a topic with plenty of scope of discussion!

 - What do you think?

 - Thank you.

                               \o/

 [Thank you to Ludo & all Guix devs; Thank you to Andy for Potluck!]

* Plan of action

 - Inherit GNU build system with autoreconf option
 - New build system: Guile
 - Extend Init:
   + parse input, synopsis, description arguments
   + print to simple-guile
 - Add transform:
   + parse simple-guile, expand to package
   + attempt to build