ghm-discuss

Re: [Ghm-discuss] Attending without having registered

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] Attending without having registered
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2016 03:18:35 +0200

On 07/03/2016 12:35 AM, Garreau, Alexandre wrote:
> On 2016-07-02 at 21:32, Christian Grothoff wrote:
>> 1) registration deadline has not passed,
>
> Ok, then just to answer quickly (I write quickly, because dvorak) before
> I check my bank account (which has a slow proprietary interface and
> doesn’t work with firefox, which requires to run another chrooted
> browser through tor, which requires time):
>
>> 2) you can ask for the refund and effectively pay EUR 0
>
> The refund is AFK, while my problem is my bank doesn’t allow me to have
> too few money (5€ min I guess) on my account, so I need to be refund
> now, but then it wouldn’t be anymore a real guarantee.
>
> Although I’m not 100% sure (I’d say ~60%) that I will be able to attend,
> I need my friend (who said he will ask friends to host me) to answer.

Then why don't you just wait with the registration? You can register
until 2 weeks before the event. So there is no rush.

>> 3) if you can show that you bought tickets, you can
>>    use the non-EU option and still have food
>
> I will probably minimize my travel costs by using BlaBlaCar (I don’t see
> yet rides for Rennes, because it’s too far in time for now) and having
> my driver cancel the transaction using the proprietary software
> application/web site just before the ride, so we can keep the
> transaction relatively anonymous while not paying blablacar taxation
> (mandatory for national travels: ironically having GHM in its own
> country is able to make travel more expensive and less anonymous): which
> at the same time means paying for a centralized proprietary SaaSS
> (yuck!) and paying french TVA (which makes poor physical persons pay the
> same proportion as rich moral persons, thus being too high for
> not-rich-enough individuals while often being too low for companies).
>
> Moreover afaik:
>   1) GNU Taler is not close to be ready (correct me if I’m wrong), and I
>      doubt to quickly/easily find any French bank letting me use it
>      (user tracking means power/money, I’m not sure most French banks
>      will accept to loose power);
>   2) GNUnet can’t replace blablacar yet at a large scale and
>      sybil-resisting at the same time, while being user-friendly.
>
> Thus I will not have anything equivalent to a “bought ticket”…

I see. Then how about you just let me know 2 weeks before the conference
whether you'll be there, and we'll let the other requirements slide in
your special case...

>> We don't want anyone to starve or be unable to participate, we just
>> don't want to buy 100 meals for 50 participants like in 2014...
>
> I understand, while I still don’t understand why was an —expensive—
> catering the only way to eat collectively… But I can imagine why in
> mostly-universitarian/research milieu people are more used to have other
> paid people preparing food for them. But since I’m still willing to come
> I try to adapt…

Nope, it's because we know that quite a few people can afford EUR 150,
and we wanted to use that as a way to get a subsidy for those who could
NOT afford the meals otherwise.

> The two solutions I see there are either I come with my own food (as I
> said), either I pay proportionally to “our” guessed probability (I don’t
> know if we take my 65%±10%, or your guess, or a mean of both, or some
> other function) of my venue, if it is less than what I can pay, or
> sending you my RIB/cheque, but that last option might probably cost you
> too much time compared to the average money it saves (I don’t know
> what’s the average researcher income, so I don’t know how worth is your
> time).

Nah, don't worry about it.