ghm-discuss

Re: [Ghm-discuss] Main Topic for 2012

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] Main Topic for 2012
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2012 18:49:29 -0400

   Once something's in the GPL it's free software. It can't be taken back.
Future releases under the same license can be halted, however.

I am not sure what you mean with `halted'; you can't take back a
license like the GPL or any other free software license.

   And those copyright holders may not contribute new open source
   material to the new non-GPL version / release of Linux, but there's
   money to be made for them staying by with Linux even after a shift
   to a non-GPL form (and probably especially after a shift to non-GPL
   actually).

As long as they stay with free software then that is good.  By the
way, `open source' is a different movement than free software; they
might share our licenses but not our goals.  See
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html for
more information.