[gfsd] tighten preppy

From: Liz Samuels
Subject: [gfsd] tighten preppy
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 18:10:51 -0400

Then Peter by night was taken to Sir Ralph Bonamys house at WoodEaton.
He stared till they were out of sight, and when he spokehis voice was solemn.
He cannot love the Tudor, but he may not consent to giveplace to a son of Buckingham. The boy was about twelve years ofage, squat and freckled and frog-like.
They professed to fight in the name of Christs Church. For a queen she was bornto be; nothing less would content him, or be worthy of hermagnificence.
Under Sir Ralphs direction he was taught theaccomplishments of his rank. I have naught against the lad,though my sire and his fought like cockerels. Worse, he saw two of the hunterscoming towards him, whom he could not choose but pass. Peter himself had no shyness, for this old man wasthe thing he loved best in the world. The boy was not lonely, for he wentanew to school.
The King, as you know, has married the Seymour, so he has a newbreed of wifes kin to provide for.
You were born inlawful wedlock, a second son. You will have ague in your young bones ifyou sit in a damp shirt.
How will you relish taking to the greenwoodlike Robin Hood or Little John? The westering sun was in the old mans face, and it showed that inhis eyes which belied his age.
Presently, as they toiled through a thicketof oak saplings, the sun came out.
A magpie flew down the hollow, but he had turned his head to thehill and did not notice it.
These same eyes might well have been on the girl at his side.
He felt his forehead flush and a wildgladness in him which sent the tears to his eyes. In front of it ablackened angle of the rock showed where a fire had once burned.
Then up to Yule I hunt the fox and badger and get the pikeout of the river. But I stand for holy Church, the old blood and the old ways, andnot least for Ned Staffords son.
For amoment a recollection of Tobiass earnest eyes gave this plea ashadow of weight. Peter, as he looked on him,felt his curiosity changing to awe. I will ride with you, providedyour campaigning season does not fall athwart my other duties.
There was something about this man whichmade them needless.
Then he cut himself a wedgeof pie which might have provisioned a ploughman for a week. Were there many with the faith of Tobias, life might stillbe breathed into them.
It was his own sanctuary, hallowed with his innermostdreams.