Re: [gfsd]Volunteer

From: Janet Casey
Subject: Re: [gfsd]Volunteer
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 11:56:23 -0400

Hi Pete,
   I'd like to help with the following task:

   Volunteer to help compile a directory of known free
   software. This task entails downloading free software
   packages, digging up information about these packages,
   and checking and verifying the licenses of the
   programs.

Thanks for volunteering! We appreciate it. Here's how you can get started:

1) Take a look at the Directory as it exists now. As you'll see, we
   also need help in improving the interface and designing a Web
   interface, so if you can contribute to either of these tasks as
   well, it would be great.

2) Go to http://www.gnu.org/directory/help.html#adding-entries. The
   README there will give you an idea of how to write up packages, and
   the template will give you the exact fields we use.

   Don't be concerned about the length of the template- we don't have one
   package yet that has all the fields filled in. The template has to
   cover a very wide range of packages, everything from large complex
   packages like gcc to programs that are just simple shell scripts.

3) Pick a package and write it up. Jumping right in like this is the
   best way to get involved. If you're concerned about a license you
   can check http://www.gnu.org/licenses/ for a list of licenses that
   we consider acceptably free.

If you hav any questions or comments at all, please feel free to
contact me, and thanks again for helping free software!

Janet Casey
Free Software Foundation
http://www.gnu.org
address@hidden