[gfsd]THE directory.

From: Steve Russo
Subject: [gfsd]THE directory.
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 22:28:07 -0500 (CDT)

<*  Volunteer to help compile     a directory of known free
<software. This
<task entails downloading free software packages, digging up information
<about these packages, and checking and verifying the licenses of the
<programs.

I'll be doing this myself soon anyways, so, how do I sign up and what is
my task? Will we be doing this so that people can easily mirror the site
and catalogue their software in different ways? I ran a bulletin board in
Duluth MN (Divided by Zero) in 1990-1993 and I always loved the
file_id.diz. I loved it so much that I incorporated it into my
html download manager. Do you have any plans on doing something like this
or will it just be simple HTML? What will classify the software that will
be posted to the site? What about using freshmeat (I know they have some
un-GPL'd stuff on their site). I am very interested in helping out and
since I am only starting to study gcc (perl is now done), I believe that
my shoddy services would be better put to more mundane services than
stumbling through the code of my betters ;-)

Like I said, I will be doing this myself soon, so where better than to do
it than at the source (I like to mirror).

About Me:

I own www.fixyoursink.net and am interested in making this a place for
free software developers to hang-out (Yes, yet another). I have created
about 50 perl programs that are all GPL (Most haven't been posted yet
because I need to go through and do clean-up's, changelogs, etc). I have
been working with Linux for over 5 years (I started with Slackware,
studied, then moved on to RedHat since I "did my time".)

I am interested in working with other OSS developers to move Linux
forward. I would also like the input of others for the front-end of my
webpage so that other people will have the opporutunity to discover linux
in an advocated way.

Sincerely,

Steve Russo

peace, love, penquins, small sigs.

PS Let's show old Craig what a true ecology will look like!