[gfsd][Fwd - Frm: address@hidden, Subj: another GPL victory]

From: Bradley M. Kuhn
Subject: [gfsd][Fwd - Frm: address@hidden, Subj: another GPL victory]
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 11:43:07 -0500

This looks like useful software to list in the directory.

----- Forwarded message from "Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden> -----

To: address@hidden
CC: address@hidden
From: "Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 21:46:25 -0400
Subject: another GPL victory

Possibly useful info....
this is a GPL victory that I never knew about:

    The [Remembrance Agent] is now released under the GNU General
    Public License (GPL). Thanks to MIT and the Media Lab for allowing
    this change of license.

http://rhodes.www.media.mit.edu/people/rhodes/RA/

    Remembrance Agents are a set of applications that watch over a
    user's shoulder and suggest information relevant to the current
    situation. While query-based memory aids help with direct recall,
    remembrance agents are an augmented associative memory. For
    example, the word-processor version of the RA continuously updates
    a list of documents relevant to what's being typed or read in an
    emacs buffer.  These suggested documents can be any text files
    that might be relevant to what you are currently writing or
    reading. They might be old emails related to the mail you are
    currently reading, or abstracts from papers and newspaper articles
    that discuss the topic of your writing.

    We are experimenting with remembrance agents in word processors,
    web browsers, and on wearable computers. The word-processor
    version works in Emacs and XEmacs, and can be downloaded below.