Re: [gfsd]Re: gas/binutils (a.k.a. we really suck sometimes)

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [gfsd]Re: gas/binutils (a.k.a. we really suck sometimes)
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 06:16:48 -0700 (MST)

    I agree 100% in the "cohesively" adjective, according to my latest
    study and poll (among my co-workers, friends, etc.) the people doesn't
    see GNU as an operating system, just as a bunch of tools, mainly: GCC,
    and the GNU version of tar, awk, etc.

This is a side-effect of mislabeling the GNU system as "Linux".
They know about the GNU system, but they believe it isn't GNU,
so GNU must be something else.

I came to the conclusion that the only way to correct this is to
change the way people refer to the system, to convince people to say
"GNU/Linux".

And despite the predictions of many that this would be impossible,
it is gradually spreading.  And people are starting to accept it.