[gfsd]Re: gas/binutils (a.k.a. we really suck sometimes)

From: Hugo Gayosso
Subject: [gfsd]Re: gas/binutils (a.k.a. we really suck sometimes)
Date: 20 Nov 2000 22:55:51 -0500

>     I am not saying that <http://www.gnu.org/software/PACKAGE>
>     disappears but that what you see there is coming from the Free
>     Software Directory (or the other way around, but they should match
>     each other).
>
> They cannot match each other, because they contain very different
> kinds of information.  This is not just a matter of details that
> could be corrected.  They are fundamentally different.

Ok I understand that but then I would suggest that the Free Software
Directory entry is extracted from
<http://www.gnu.org/software/PACKAGE>.

Maybe we should enforce that in every directory:

...../software/PACKAGE

there should be the HTML file and then an XML file with the Free
Software directory entry. Then a script will go everyday or so, and
re-create the Free Software Directory from these XML files.

That way we could include as part of the XML file the field "latest
version" and that way the users could monitor when a specific package
was upgraded, just by looking at the Free Software Directory.

For lazy or html-impaired maintainers we could provide a script that
goes and takes the XML file for the Free Software Directory and then
create a basic html page for them, therefore making the only
*REQUIREMENT* to create this XML file (similar to those LSM entries in
sunsite).

Hey, we could even do a little more magic and even go and take the
"latest version" from the CVS tree!!! :)

(mmmmm...I know what's next: "are you volunteering to do this?")

> An entry in the Free Software Directory contains the answers to a
> fixed set of questions.  The pages in /software/PACKAGE are supposed
> to contain a lot more information than that, and it does not fit
> into a fixed framework such as that of the Directory.

Agree.

- --
Hugo Gayosso
GNU Volunteer Coordinator