Re: [gforth] Configuring multiple libccdirs

From: Anton Ertl
Subject: Re: [gforth] Configuring multiple libccdirs
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2018 09:21:58 +0200

On Tue, Jul 03, 2018 at 10:01:27PM +0200, Bernd Paysan wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 3. Juli 2018, 18:05:21 CEST schrieb Anton Ertl:
> > The question is if it makes sense.  The files in these directories are
> > cached intermediate results produced from Forth source files
> > containing C-interface stuff.
>
> Actually, the libcc API has stabilized, and the need to recompile the libcc
> interfaces for every Gforth snapshot isn't there anymore.

The wrapper files are not part of the API, but yes, the implementation
is stable enough that we do not need the wrapper files
per-gforth-version.

> So it makes sense to install programs with precompiled libcc-named files, and
> keep them separate from the Gforth directory, which is updated every week or
> so (if they use my snapshot Debian repository).

But once the implementation changes in a way that breaks these wrapper
files, this bites you.  Alternative: don't keep the wrapper files in
directories named by Gforth version, but by a wrapper compatibility
version number (or date), like we do for images.

> As I can see the request, for third-party programs using Gforth as Forth
> engine, who want to install their files in a different directory.   The
> source
> files installed in some other directory can be dealt with GFORTHPATH, the
> libcc-named files installed not — they have to go to a version specific
> Gforth
> directory.

Just don't install them.  They are generated when the user includes them.

- anton