Re: [gforth] Configuring multiple libccdirs

From: Anton Ertl
Subject: Re: [gforth] Configuring multiple libccdirs
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2018 18:05:21 +0200

On Tue, Jul 03, 2018 at 04:34:34PM +0200, Bernd Paysan wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 3. Juli 2018, 12:03:57 CEST schrieb Reepca Russelstein:
> > Currently there are two places gforth will check for already-existing
> > compiled wrapper code:
> >
> > 1. ~/.gforth/<machine-type>/libcc-named
> > 2. $libccdir or, if that isn't set, the value of $libccdir at the time
> > gforth was compiled.
> >
> > This presents an issue if we have wrapper code we want to go somewhere
> > else and want gforth to still be able to find its own wrapper code -
> > we can't set libccdir for this purpose. For example, if I want to
> > install a separate package that provides wrapper code - maybe I'll
> > call it gforth-glfw - I'd want to put it in
> > PREFIX/lib/gforth/site-forth/libcc-named.
> >
> > Could we change libccdir to specify a search path instead of a single
> > directory, with build-time $libccdir implicitly prepended to that
> > path?
>
> Yes, that's easy to do.  I would suggest however to keep libccdir as is, and
> add a GFORTHCCPATH the way you want to.  Public visible environment variables
> controlling Gforth should be in uppercase and have a GFORTH in their name.

The question is if it makes sense.  The files in these directories are
cached intermediate results produced from Forth source files
containing C-interface stuff.  We have two directories for the
following reasons:

2) $libccdir for files created by the superuser at Gforth
installation, so the user does not need a C compiler when using the
source C-interface files; it also allows sharing these files between
different users, without one user being able to attack another user by
providing a Trojan intermediate file.

1) For C-interface stuff beyond libccdir, each user produces his own
intermediate files in ~/.gforth/<machine-type>/libcc-named.

For what purpose would one use more directories?

- anton