Re: [gforth] Inclusion of minimal-forth code in gforth

From: Carsten Strotmann
Subject: Re: [gforth] Inclusion of minimal-forth code in gforth
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2018 21:04:53 +0200

Hello Joel,

On 27.04.18 09:27, Joel Rees wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 5:19 PM, Carsten Strotmann <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Hi gforth community,
>>
>> I would like to propose the inclusion of the "minimal forth" source code
>> from Ulli Hoffmann (https://github.com/uho/minimal) into gforth.
>>
>> Minimal forth restricts the visible words which helps beginners when
>> starting to learn forth. The full wordlist of gforth can be daunting for
>> beginners. The minimal forth code allows the user to start with a very
>> minimal forth subset and extend the wordlist in a modular fashion.
>>
>> the code could be in a subdirectory ($GFORTHBASE/minimal) and maybe a
>> set of startscripts to start gforth with the minimal code.
>>
>> Possible?
>

> ( Perhaps you are already familiar with vocabularies? )

Sure

> vocabulary minimal
>
> minimal definitions forth
>
> :  + + ;
>
> : - - ;
>
> minimal vlist
>
> ( You get the idea. )
> ( It needs a little more, of course, and there are better ways to do it, )
> ( but you're most of the way there with built-in stuff. )

yes, and the code I've referenced for inclusion in the gforth
distribution works similar.

The idea is to have this code that creates a minimal forth wordlist
inside gforth shipped with the gforth code, so that it is immediately
usable for Forth beginners.

gforth is powerful. having the minimal forth wordlist code shipped with
gforth would make it easier for beginners to start learning forth with
gforth and staying with gforth while they become masters in forth.

Greetings

Carsten