Re: [gforth] Inclusion of minimal-forth code in gforth

From: Joel Rees
Subject: Re: [gforth] Inclusion of minimal-forth code in gforth
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2018 16:27:27 +0900

On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 5:19 PM, Carsten Strotmann <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi gforth community,
>
> I would like to propose the inclusion of the "minimal forth" source code
> from Ulli Hoffmann (https://github.com/uho/minimal) into gforth.
>
> Minimal forth restricts the visible words which helps beginners when
> starting to learn forth. The full wordlist of gforth can be daunting for
> beginners. The minimal forth code allows the user to start with a very
> minimal forth subset and extend the wordlist in a modular fashion.
>
> the code could be in a subdirectory ($GFORTHBASE/minimal) and maybe a
> set of startscripts to start gforth with the minimal code.
>
> Possible?

( Perhaps you are already familiar with vocabularies? )

vocabulary minimal

minimal definitions forth

:  + + ;

: - - ;

minimal vlist

( You get the idea. )
( It needs a little more, of course, and there are better ways to do it, )
( but you're most of the way there with built-in stuff. )

--
Joel Rees

One of these days I'll get someone to pay me
to design a language that combines the best of Forth and C.
Then I'll be able to leap wide instruction sets with a single #ifdef,
run faster than a speeding infinite loop with a #define,
and stop all integer size bugs with my bare cast.
http://defining-computers.blogspot.com/2017/06/reinventing-computers.html

More of my delusions:
http://reiisi.blogspot.com/2017/05/do-not-pay-modern-danegeld-ransomware.html
http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/p/novels-i-am-writing.html