Re: [gforth] setting up a linux system so to learn gfroth and GNU/linux

From: Carsten Strotmann
Subject: Re: [gforth] setting up a linux system so to learn gfroth and GNU/linux
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 17:25:07 +0200

Hello William,

wilnav writes:

> Hi all,
>
> First I am very green. I have some idea about forth as I have programmed
> the HP 50g which has a forth like operating system and RPL programming
> environment. I decided to go direct to ANS forth via gforth. Especially
> sense it is free software as I support the movement.
>
> I have read Brend's suggestion to install openSUSE and have done so. Had
> no problem compiling gforth [gforth-0.7.1.tar.gz.] However openSUSE is
> not shown as a free operating system on
> https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html I have installed Trisequel
> but am not sure how to create a development environment to allow me to
> install
> gforth-0.7.1.tar.gz  ( I prefer the OpenSUSE GNOME )
>
> So I am thinking of installing gnewsense. I would like to support FSF
> and GNU as much as possible. So within the gforth community is there a
> preference to one or other operating system?

gNewSense comes with gForth 0.7.0 which you can install using

% sudo aptitude install gforth

I was also able to compile and install the latest gforth 0.7.9-20140402 from
the git
repository on gNewSense 3.1 (amd64).

Please let me know if you need instructions on how to install gforth
from source.

Best regards

--
Carsten Strotmann