Re: [gforth] starting forth

From: Bahman Movaqar
Subject: Re: [gforth] starting forth
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 13:45:38 +0330

On 11/05/2013 11:35, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
> Hello, just subscribed to the list and hence my first post here.
>
> First time on Forth and so with GForth.
>
> Have been advised to work through "Starting Forth", but looks like the
> exercises and examples won't work under GForth, might be because
> "Starting Forth" doesn't use ANS Forth.

As Robert said, the book is not that far from ANS Forth.  So my
suggestion would be the book too.  Also there are people on #forth on
Freenode who may help you (assuming you're patient enough :-)

> Any suggestions about how I could self-train with GForth while working
> through "Starting Forth" would be much appreciated. :)
> If not at all possible, would the listas be kind enough to suggest an
> implementation of Forth which supports "Starting Forth" well?
> I'm under Ubuntu Server 13.10 on an Intel 64-bit machine.

I'm sure you already know this but I'd suggest you define a small pet
project for yourself and try to apply Forth to it.  For example I laid
down a childish encryption algorithm and wrote a program to
encrypt/decrypt string and files.  It helped me a lot.

--
Bahman Movaqar  (http://BahmanM.com)

ERP Evaluation, Implementation & Deployment Consultant
PGP Key ID: 0x6AB5BD68 (keyserver2.pgp.com)