Re: [gforth] Gforth image files and shared c librarys! How to access?

From: Bernd Paysan
Subject: Re: [gforth] Gforth image files and shared c librarys! How to access?
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 15:20:30 +0200

Am Montag, 2. September 2013, 17:16:57 schrieb Philip Smith:
> Hi Bernd
>    Thanks for the information!  I now wonder what i should do?  I know i
> can do this from a script like method but i want the convenience of the
> script method and the convenience of forth but i also want the speed of
> compiled binarys or close to it.  I also would like the benefit of code
> that can work on other platforms.  I guess for now i will just try to
> figure out a best compromise method that will give me the most flexibility
> with the most speed.
>    I will just have to think about this for sometime before i come up with
> a solution.
>    Is the main reason this does not work yet because of some dependency
> Gforth has with some other library or is this an internal Gforth issue?

The main reason is that this is not trivial to do.  We can't just save the
image with the resolved pointers into the library, because next time we load
the library, it might have a different address (it will be the same library,
though, as we load our wrapper, but ASLR is pretty common).

> Maybe i could try and solve this or is there some solution that you Bernd
> and others are already working on?

I'm not working on it right now, but it is on my things to do list. Maybe I'll
move that up in the priority list.  It will only go into the development
branch (git respository).

--
Bernd Paysan
http://bernd-paysan.de/