Re: [gforth] 'make install' of 0.7.1 and 0.7.2 failed on Debian 7.1 on x

From: Bernd Paysan
Subject: Re: [gforth] 'make install' of 0.7.1 and 0.7.2 failed on Debian 7.1 on x86
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 00:27:13 +0200

Am Dienstag, 20. August 2013, 00:16:45 schrieb Marcos Cruz:
> En/Je/On 2013-08-19 23:38, Bernd Paysan escribió / skribis / wrote :
> > You probably don't have an emacs installed, so compiling gforth.elc
> > fails.
>
> Right. I use Vim :)

Hehe.  So you certainly won't need the gforth.elc.

> > Ok, the problem with 0.7.1 is known and was (quickly) fixed in 0.7.2.
>
> I dont't understand. Do you mean the installation problem was different
> in 0.7.1?

Yes.  That was the reason to quickly make 0.7.2 after 0.7.1 was released.

> I have removed everything about Emacs from both Makefile files and now
> the installations work fine, 0.7.1 and 0.7.2.
>
> > Maybe we should move gforth.elc last, because it might have not been
> > built due to a missing emacs, and in that case, it is not needed ;-)
>
> Maybe 'configure' could detect if Emacs is installed?

No, then we get problems with the distributors who build with minimalist build
environments, and then won't install the Emacs part.  This has to fail hard,
we had enough problems with "optional parts" in Gforth which resulted in
distribution packages that didn't build with them, and then, we had no C
bindings...

--
Bernd Paysan
http://bernd-paysan.de/