Re: [gforth] Multiple problems with latest Gforth-CVS

From: Bernd Paysan
Subject: Re: [gforth] Multiple problems with latest Gforth-CVS
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 16:42:48 +0100

Am Freitag, 30. November 2012, 02:14:07 schrieb David Kuehling:
> > I only changed the way the engine is called, and that boot calls now
> > (bye).  I've now changed that to -56 (QUIT throwcode), and also return
> > the other throw-codes if the startup code fails for some reason.
>
> Wherever you canged that, maybe you didn't change it in Gforth CVS (yet)?
> Because after updating, I still have the same problems.

No, so far only in my experimental branch.

> BTW does that mean (bye) is not going to be able to return all exit
> codes?  That's somehow a nuisance, I currently cannot think of a
> programming language that *doesn't* support arbitrary exit codes (apart
> from, now obviously, Gforth).  Maybe the engine needs to return more
> bits than just an int?  Or just add a primitive that does an explicit
> exit(n)

exit() only returns a byte. If you say $101 (bye), it will give an exit code
of 1.  Now, with the change to proceed to QUIT with -56 (bye), you can simply
return 1 again.

> > Subversion is deeply directory-based.  And I had my fair share of
> > problems with it.  IMHO it's a good thing we skipped it for Gforth
> > ;-).
>
> Then let's do it, just in time before the flamewar hits :) I wonder what
> Anton thinks.

I've already discussed with him at EuroForth.  The open question is: Hosting
at TU Wien or using Savannah?  The good thing of a Git repository is that
moving it elsewhere is a piece of cake, as everybody has the full repository
local, anyways.

--
Bernd Paysan
http://bernd-paysan.de/