Re: [gforth] Multiple problems with latest Gforth-CVS

From: Bernd Paysan
Subject: Re: [gforth] Multiple problems with latest Gforth-CVS
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 13:21:52 +0100

Am Mittwoch, 28. November 2012, 04:24:38 schrieb David Kuehling:
> Hi,
>
> after building and installing Gforth from CVS, a few test-cases of a
> current project don't pass any more.
>
> Here are a few code sequences that don't behave as before:
>
>   * gforth -e '1 (bye)'
>
>     does not quit any more, it enters the interpreter (doing '0 (bye)'
>     does work however)

That's because I've prepared Gforth to integrate as library - and it now
returns via (bye) after startup.  Question: What kind of return magic should
we use? Maybe something > 255, because 0..255 are values useful for exit.

>   * gforth -m 512M -e '50000000 allot'
>
>     produces  '*OS command line*:-1: Dictionary overflow'.  Seems that
>     option -m is ignored.

Yes, there was a bug introduced... gforth allocates the correct dictionary
size, but doesn't know about it.

> This is with a checkout from a few days ago, installed via
> './BUILD-FROM-SCRATCH; sudo make install' on Debien Wheezy amd64.

I'm now mostly working on my new header experiment branch, whihc is a git
repository here:

git clone http://bernd-paysan.de/gforth

I keep merging in changes from CVS, though, and once the experimental header
stuff is ok with Anton, I'll either check that back into CVS, or we move to
git officially.

--
Bernd Paysan
http://bernd-paysan.de/