Re: [gforth] compiling gforth on armv7l - beaglebone

From: Bernd Paysan
Subject: Re: [gforth] compiling gforth on armv7l - beaglebone
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2012 23:23:01 +0200

Am Sonntag, 3. Juni 2012, 12:25:49 schrieb kibler:
> So let me see if I have this correct:
>
> To get BUILD-FROM-SCRATCH requires gforth running to work,
> and I would assume that even ./configure requires it as well.
> I am currently compiling on systems that do not have any
> gforth available for installation. I now know why all the major
> distros for the beaglebone don't have gforth - it can't be built
> using the build-root tool.

No, that's wrong.  You have to build a distribution with "make dist" from a
system where you have a working Gforth.  There is no cross-compilation
required, just the CVS tree contains *only* the source.  If you wish to build
from CVS, you need a working Gforth in your path.  Gforth is a Forth written
mostly in Forth, and this includes most of the C code - it is generated by a
Forth program.

> So I either have to find another system with gforth available
> (probably a debian based system of which I haven't been able
> to make one work) and/or cross compile on a system with
> gforth loaded. I suppose I could rip open a deb package and
> try copying all the files to Arch - might work.
>
> I as well need to make sure when building that the "host" is arm,
> no platform specified when doing a cross compile as this is the
> only option I should be passing?
>
> However you say "dist package" - as one set to work on this
> specific system - or something else?

"dist package" is what you get when you do a "make dist".  It's a tar file.
Like gforth-0.7.0.tar.gz.

> As a bit of information, I am using the gforth-mirror under git
> to do my building. I use git for everything after moving 400
> developers from clearcase, svn, and perforce to it. I feel git
> has a better set of tools than svn.

Yes.

> Can you think of anything else I might be doing wrong?

Try the following: Build Gforth CVS on a system where you already have Gforth
installed.  Do "make dist" there.  Copy the resulting tar file to the
Beaglebone board.   Do the normal tar extract, ./configure && make && make
install there.  Report any problems you see there.

BTW: This board is really cute.

--
Bernd Paysan
http://bernd-paysan.de/