[gforth] vocabulary hash error?

From: Marcos Cruz
Subject: [gforth] vocabulary hash error?
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 18:55:21 +0200

Hello,

My name is Marcos Cruz. Forth is my favourite programming language by
far. I learned it with my ZX Spectrum in 1984. Since then, I've used
many Forth systems on different platforms. I'm a veteran Debian user
and Gforth is the Forth I use most on my system.

These weeks I'm geting an intermittent error in one of my current
Gforth projects:

----8<----------------------------------------------------------
~/forth/autohipnosis/autohipnosis.fs:720: Invalid memory address
' finish alias >>>conclusiĆ³n<<<
Backtrace:
$B71E7464 (hashkey1)
$B71E76A8 hash
$B71E7780 bucket
$B71E78FC (reveal
$FFFFFFFF
$B71E79B0 inithash
$B71E7C3C addall
$0
$B71E7D40 hashdouble
$B71E782C hash-alloc
$B71E7864 (reveal
$B71DEC48 perform
$B71DE0F8 reveal
----8<----------------------------------------------------------

The offending line belongs to a long list of aliases. But it seems the
alias itself has nothing to do. I've changed that line to a colon
definition and the error arises as well:

----8<----------------------------------------------------------
~/forth/autohipnosis/autohipnosis.fs:720: Invalid memory address
: dummy >>>;<<<
Backtrace:
$B71FF464 (hashkey1)
$B71FF6A8 hash
$B71FF780 bucket
$B71FF8FC (reveal
$FFFFFFFF
$B71FF9B0 inithash
$B71FFC3C addall
$0
$B71FFD40 hashdouble
$B71FF82C hash-alloc
$B71FF864 (reveal
$B71F6C48 perform
$B71F6A14 reveal
----8<----------------------------------------------------------

After the error, 'order' and 'forth' are recognized, but other words
are not:

----8<----------------------------------------------------------
order menu_vocabulary game_vocabulary Forth Root     menu_vocabulary  ok
forth  ok
bye
:5: Undefined word
>>>bye<<<
Backtrace:
$B71DBEDC throw
$B71E8638 no.extensions
$B71DC054 interpreter-notfound1
order Forth game_vocabulary Forth Root     menu_vocabulary  ok
only
:7: Undefined word
>>>only<<<
Backtrace:
$B71DBEDC throw
$B71E8638 no.extensions
$B71DC054 interpreter-notfound1
----8<----------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes I simply change something trivial in the code and the error
dissapears, at least for some time. That made me first think of an
alignment issue, but after some exploring I think it's not the cause.

My program requires the trm module of Forth Foundation Library, and
some libraries of mine, but I see no relation. I use all of them in
several projects anyway.

The error trail (from 'reveal' to '(hashkey1)') makes me wonder why the
n-th definition in the list fails when compiled (not always the same
one). I've tried to reproduce the error with a simplified version of
the code, but I didn't succeeded. Everything seems ok.

I would appreciate any clue, as I'm stuck.

Marcos

--
http://programandala.net