Re: [gforth] How to make executable binary applications?

From: Bahman Movaqar
Subject: Re: [gforth] How to make executable binary applications?
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 01:30:41 +0330

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 01:17, David Kuehling <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Am Sonntag, 6. November 2011, 23:30:21 schrieb Bahman Movaqar:
>>> I'm going to write an application using Forth.  The source of this
>>> application must *not* be readable by others.  AFAIU if I create an
>>> image of the source, once still can 'SEE' the words after loading the
>>> image.  Is that right?  If yes, are there any ways to make an
>>> executable binary file (like a compiled and linked C program) out of
>>> a collection of Forth source files?
>>>
>>> BTW, I'm using Gforth.  TIA,
>
>> Gforth is under GPL.  If you plan to do that, you first of all need a
>> GPL exception, you cannot do that with the license under which you
>> have obtained Gforth - this is different from C, where the binary does
>> not contain the C compiler.  I think you can negotiate that with Anton
>> and me, when you have good reasons - making money is a good reason,
>> but then you need to share some of that money with us.
>
> ... or with the Free Software Foundation?  Most of the Gforth copyright
> is assigned to the FSF, have a lot of fun negating with them :)
>
> You might get around the licensing restriction, using Gforth's cross
> compiler.  Have a look at chapter 13.1 Image Licensing Issues in the
> Gforth manual.

Nice hint :-D  Thank you.  I guess that fulfils my requirement.

However, I'm not an expert on the (c) tricks so to avoid any problems,
I just explain the distribution process I'll use and I'll be more than
grateful if someone could confirm that it doesn't conflict with GPL.

The process: I make an image of the sources using 'cross'.  I put the
image (with no source) on a CD along with Gforth binaries and a GPL
copyright text.  I sell the CD at price X.

--
Bahman Movaqar (http://BahmanM.com)
ERP Evaluation, Implementation and Deployment Consultant