Re: [gforth] New member, new Forther

From: Owen Brand
Subject: Re: [gforth] New member, new Forther
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 01:28:46 -0500

Yea, I have no idea about how to build a computer... my expertise (if you can call it that) lies primarily with the /4a system.  I have a working knowledge of the TMS9900 CPU, the 9918 VDP, and most of the system ROMs TI put into the machine, but as far as any other system architecture, I'm clueless.

The Jupiter Ace home computer (1983) was the only microcomputer which came stock with Forth as its native language (instead of BASIC)... I run it in emulation, but REALLY want a real machine to play with.  It's a Z80 CPU and is quite an interesting computer.  The Jupiter Ace is what really got me excited about running Forth natively without an OS... It booted to the Forth immediate mode and loaded ALL its software through a 1/8 inch cassette interface port.

I have alot to learn... especially about modern computer architecture... If it's not EPROMs and 8 bit multiplexor buses, I'm lost.  =)