Re: [gforth] New member, new Forther

From: Owen Brand
Subject: Re: [gforth] New member, new Forther
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 01:19:46 -0500

Hmmm.....  I was hoping to avoid having to load external libraries...

My first plan is a graphical demo which (I hope) will turn into something more.  I have written games in Extended BASIC for the TI-99/4a and I'd like to port one or two to gforth if I can.  My programming method is pretty lazy, really... I like to start by designing the graphics, once I have a concept... It gives me the "feel" for the application.  Then I start in developing user input commands keyboard inputs based around loose subroutines which aren't fleshed out yet.  Once I get some skeleton routines in place and an intuitive UI, I start getting down to the nitty gritty.  This is really why Forth is so suited to my programming style... moreso than assembly, which really requires a far more structured programming philosophy.  With Forth, you can do pretty much whatever the hell you want to do and develop your programs in the manner that suits you.  Wycove Forth 3.0 for the TI is a marvellous system, but very limited in its base of developers... without support and people to play your games, there's no reason to program in that language.  Wycove is still not freeware... after 25 years, the developer still charges $50 or something for the language disks and manual, and there are virtually NO users.  That's why I'm here.  =)

I'll search for some tools online and report back to you guys when I have some info to share.  Thanks for your help!!!