Re: [gforth] New member, new Forther

From: David Kuehling
Subject: Re: [gforth] New member, new Forther
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 18:12:36 +0100

> Greetings, all... My name is Owen Brand and I'm a game developer for
> the TI-99/4a.  I recently started playing with a couple dialects of
> Forth on the TI computer and fell in love with the syntax and
> speed... Especially on our memory restricted machine.  This led me on
> a path to learn more about Forth.  I came across gforth from a couple
> videos on YouTube and downloaded.  It's a lovely implementation and I
> enjoyed defining some simple words.
> I'm here to understand more--

Hi Owen,

let me try to anwer a few of the questions:

> what was the reason for developing this language?

You mean Forth in general or Gforth?  Guess Forth was developed to get
high-performance interfactive programming environment onto extremel
underpowered machines.

> How many regular users are there?

Not sure.  Judging from the activity of this mailinglist, maybe not too
many :)

> Are there any games in the gforth library?

Gforth comes with a falling block game and a sokoban example.  Try to
run

 gforth sokoban.fs -e sokoban -e bye
 gforth tt.fs -e tt -e bye

I once wrote a chess playing program in (g)forth:

 http://sourceforge.net/projects/forth-brainless/

> Development pages or forums?

Usenet group comp.lang.forth is the most active place afaik:

 https://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.forth

> Thanks in advance for any info... Forth has re-energized my
> programming focus and I'm looking forward to immersing myself in
> gforth. Thanks

Note that Gforth also can be used as a simple cross-forth compiler for
embedded systems.  If you really have too much time on your hands you
might be able to run an embedded gforth on your TI-99.  Try running

  ./builed-ec r8c

for an example of how to build firmware images that contain gforth (this
example would build for an r8c microcontroller).  The files in arch/r8c
show you how that was accomplished.

cheers,

David