RE: [gforth] New member, new Forther

From: Dennis Ruffer
Subject: RE: [gforth] New member, new Forther
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 08:26:20 -0800

Welcome to gforth Owen!

While you will find that gforth is a powerful version of the language, it also is one of the few that runs across a multitude of computer architectures.  Therefore, things like clearing the screen are not so simple.  You can find out what codes you need to emit to accomplish that on your system, but those same codes might not work on someone else's system.  For example, Windows and Linux do not use the same sequence, unless you have carefully setup both systems to do so, and that is outside the boundaries of gforth itself.  The same can be said for just about every non-trivial application I've seen or written in gforth.

For source code libraries, you can start at http://soton.mpeforth.com/flag/

For discussion forums, usenet is the most active at: comp.lang.forth

DaR