getfem-users

Re: on GetFEM questions

From: Jean-François Barthélémy
Subject: Re: on GetFEM questions
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 01:14:59 +0100

Dear Kostas,

Yes of course I can share my recipe about compiling Getfem under Windows. Well I have just had my laptop changed and I have just resintalled most of my tools and recompiled Getfem so I cannot guarantee that my recipe would work in any other case and I would probably not be able to explain why such or such step doesn't work on another config... From my experience, errors often come from bad values of environment variables so that headers or libraries are not found!

Before dealing with Getfem, just make sure that you have a proper installation of Python and MinGW. I have Anaconda with Python 3.7 as well as Msys2 and MinGW (with gcc 10.3.0).
Concerning Python I have gotten used to follow the instruction from https://ascend4.org/Setting_up_a_MinGW-w64_build_environment#Setup_Python_for_compilation_of_extensions to create python<xy>.dll and modify pyconfig.h. I don't really know if this last step remains necessary but I still do it.
In addition, I have found somewhere that it was necessary to replace msvcr140 by vcruntime140 in cygwinccompiler.py in the Python folder distutils.

Of course it is necessary to update the Path (possibly LD_LIBRARY_PATH, LIBRARY_PATH and/or PATH?) to make sure that some important MinGW libraries are seen from the compiler (typically gfortran, quadmath, stdc++, gcc_s...). For me, they are located at [Installation dir of msys64]\mingw64\lib\gcc\x86_64-w64-mingw32\10.3.0 .

Concerning Blas, I have installed OpenBlas (https://github.com/xianyi/OpenBLAS/wiki) and I have then installed MUMPS with the modified Makefile.inc in attachment but of course it may need changes for different Blas installation or fortran compiler.

I have also installed Qhull as suggested in https://getfem.org/install/install_windows.html .

Also it is important to update the Windows environment variables (PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, LIBRARY_PATH for the linker and CPATH for the include directories) and make sure that Msys2 inherits them or define the environment variables within the scope of msys2 console...

Now concerning Getfem itself, it depends whether you want to compile from the stable tar.gz version (already containing configure) or from the dev version from git repository. In this last case, probably due to unix/windows incompatibiity that I can't explain, I have problems with the content of AC_CONFIG_FILES in which I have to suppress manually all the spaces and \ symbols. After that, autogen.sh works to create the configure file.  Could this be something that might be fixed in the Getfem sources so that configure.ac can be compatible for both unix and windows?

Then the compilation of Getfem follows https://getfem.org/install/install_windows.html insofar as it is important to first compile superlu and then configure again with the option --disable-superlu after putting the superlu library in some place visible from the linker.

Concretely I do the following

$ ./configure --prefix=[destination of the installation] --with-pic --with-blas="-lopenblas" LDFLAGS="-lpthread -lgfortran -lquadmath -lstdc++ -lgcc_s -lm -L[installation dir of Python] -lpython37"
$ cd superlu
$ make
then copy the folder .libs containing libsuperlu.* to some place in the path visible by the linker
$ cd ..
$ ./configure --prefix=[destination of the installation]   --with-pic --with-blas="-lopenblas" LDFLAGS="-lpthread -lgfortran -lquadmath -lstdc++ -lgcc_s -lm -L[installation dir of Python]  -lpython37" PYTHON="[installation dir of Python]/python.exe" --disable-superlu
(( I have noticed that I had to explicitly mention PYTHON=[path to python.exe in unix style] because the windows style path (I mean C:\...\...) in my general Windows environment variable leads to compilation error for me. It may be different on another configuration of if the environement variables are defined within msys64 and not Windows inherited by msys64 as I do... I don't know.))
$ make
$ make install
Then you have to copy the getfem folder contained in lib/pythonx.y/site-packages to some place that is included in your PYTHONPATH or directly add the folder in the PYTHONPATH.

Until rather recently I had problems with the step of compilation of python interface: I had to manually run the following command within the folder interface/src/python and manually copy the resulting "_getfem.pyd" in the installed folder lib/site-packages/getfem
$ g++ -shared ./Release/getfem_python_c.o ./Release/_getfem.cp37-win_amd64.def -L../.libs -L../../../src/.libs  -lgetfemint -lgetfem -lsmumps -ldmumps -lcmumps -lzmumps -lmumps_common -lmpiseq -lpord -lqhull -lsuperlu -lopenblas -lpthread -lgfortran -lquadmath -lstdc++ -lgcc_s -lm -lpython37 -lstdc++ -lm -lpython37 -lvcruntime140 -o ./_getfem.pyd
but it doesn't seem necessary now for me. I don't know if it is due to changes in the Getfem sources or to my new laptop configuration...

I hope this helps you to compile under Windows.

By the way, do you know if someone in the development team intends to add a Julia interface beside python and matlab ones? This may be nice.

Best regards
Jean-François