geiser-users

[Geiser-users] Running into problems setting up Geiser

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: [Geiser-users] Running into problems setting up Geiser
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 12:30:01 -0600

Hi,

I just started trying to configure Geiser yesterday, but I've run into a
number of problems which make me think I may have taken a wrong turn
somewhere.

I am running the latest geiser from git.  I've built the source code
with configure and make and loaded with

    ;; -*- emacs-lisp -*-
    (require 'geiser-install)
    (load "~/.emacs.d/src/geiser/build/elisp/geiser-load.el")
    (setq geiser-impl-installed-implementations '(racket guile))
    (setq geiser-default-implementation 'guile)

At this point I opened up a .scm buffer with some guile code and tried
to start a REPL (with both M-x geiser and C-c C-z).  In both cases a new
comint buffer pops up, and I see the following two messages separated by
a considerable >10 sec hang.

    Starting Geiser REPL for guile ...
    geiser-repl--wait-for-prompt: No prompt found!

Assuming I must have a non-standard guile prompt, I decided to customize
my geiser guile prompt variable, however finding no such variable, I
resorted to adding the following to my .emacs config

    ;; -*- emacs-lisp -*-
    (defun geiser-repl--prompt-regexp (implementation) "^[^>]*> ")

With this change I am able to start a REPL eventually getting the "Guile
REPL up and running!" message, however there is still a considerable >10
sec hang before this message prints.

Finally, when evaluating a scheme defun in the buffer with C-M-x, I get
another long hang, and eventually have "(no value)" echoed in the
minibuffer, even if the scheme form is something like "(identity 2)"
which should clearly output a result.

I'm guessing either my system is non-standard in some way, or I made
some mistake installing Geiser.  I'm running Arch Linux as my OS with
the following versions of Emacs and Guile.

$ emacs --version
GNU Emacs 24.2.50.1
GNU Emacs comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
You may redistribute copies of Emacs
under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.

$ guile --version
Guile 1.8.8
Copyright (c) 1995, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007,
2008 Free Software Foundation
Guile may be distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public Licence;
certain other uses are permitted as well.  For details, see the file
`COPYING', which is included in the Guile distribution.
There is no warranty, to the extent permitted by law.

Thanks,

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte