gdb

Fwd: GDB problem with mac os x environment

From: stephen yu
Subject: Fwd: GDB problem with mac os x environment
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 14:01:37 -0700

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: stephen yu <address@hidden>
Date: Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 6:48 PM
Subject: GDB problem with mac os x environment
To: address@hidden

So i'm using a x86_64-apple-darwin12.5.0 GDB on a MacBook Air.

I'm trying to do something as simple as gdb'ing into a executable file.

I type: gcc -g arrays.c -o arrays

creating an arrays executable, and arrays.dSYM,

and i type gdb arrays, and everything is fine.

It tells me its reading symbols from

arrays.dSYM/Contents/Resources/DWARF/arrays…done

The problem is, when i don't add the -g option, i just have

gcc arrays.c -o arrays,  (essentially no arrays.dSYM)

and then type  gdb arrays, i get

Reading symbols from arrays...

warning: `/var/folders/rj/d449b90d4_5986wxc66k_mc80000gn/T/arrays-J8mQ1j.o': can't open to read symbols: No such file or directory.

(no debugging symbols found)...done.

I observe that the executable is reliant upon arrays.dSYM. This becomes a problem, because let's say I want to debug something that doesn't come with its .dSYM file, i don't know how to use gdb on it.

on a fedora system that uses x86_64 redhat-linux-gnu, i use gdb arrays on the same exact arrays executable, and no problem, it doesn't give me any problems. So that led me to conclude that something is wrong with the gdb I have in the mac os x environment.

Perhaps there is a problem in my setup, or maybe i should just switch to a linux environment for gdb? But yeah, my email is address@hidden if you have any responses or suggestions.

Thanks,

Stephen Yu