gdb

Printing ymm registers under OS X

From: Ray Seyfarth
Subject: Printing ymm registers under OS X
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 17:31:47 -0800 (PST)

Hi!

I am doing some 64 bit assembly programming under OS X and have some issues
with gdb.  First the gdb I started with (6.3) printed the 4 floats in
xmm0.v4_float in reverse order.  Installing gdb 7.5 resolved the order of
the values in xmm registers, but I have not yet seen any ymm registers.  My
CPU is a Core i5 and it executes avx instructions.  The computer is a Mac
Mini and it is running Mountain Lion.  It seems possible that some option
for the configure script might turn on avx support.  There might be
something more basic that I have missed in reading about the SSE/AVX
floating point support.

I have been using yasm for assembling which apparently does not generate
proper debug data, but I can coping well despite this problem.

Thanks for any ideas.

Ray