gdb

Debugging embedded system with GDB

From: TriKri
Subject: Debugging embedded system with GDB
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 08:38:41 -0700 (PDT)

Hello!

I am going to debug an embedded system running a MIPS processor, via an
EJTAG probe, using GDB, so I need to know what functionality GDB needs in
order to be able to do the debugging.

I have written software for communicating with the probe, enabling a
communication between the computer and the MIPS processor running on the
embedded system. The probe communicates with the processor via a TAP (Test
Access Port) interface, and it has functions for telling the CPU to execute
certain instructions (machine code), and for reading/writing from/to the CPU
register. I suppose GDB needs those functions at least. But how do I set up
GDB to communicate with my program? Do I have to make the program a shared
library? Does GDB need any more functions for debugging? If there is any
good guide teaching me how to set up GDB with the program I would be glad to
know.

Thanks in advance!
/Kristofer Krus