gdb

[Gdb] Re: [uClinux-dev] Can I use gdbserver without BDM device to debug

From: David McCullough
Subject: [Gdb] Re: [uClinux-dev] Can I use gdbserver without BDM device to debug ColdFire applicat ion
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 09:40:06 +1000

Jivin Chen Qi-A18263 lays it down ...
> > Hi, all:
> >     I have encountered a problem while I am using the GDB server to debug a
> > coldfire application:
> >
> >     I use the following steps for my 5272 application ( uClinux kernel 2.4,
> > gcc3.3.3 ):
> >     1. on the target board, run gdbserver first
> >
> >              gdbserver :2000 test.flt
> >
> >     2. on host pc:
> >
> >             ./m68k-bdm-elf-gdb test.flt.gdb
> >             (gdb) target remote 200.2.1.51:2000
> >                     Remote debugging using 200.2.1.51:2000
> >                     0x00f00048 in _start ()
> >             (gdb) n
> >                     Single stepping until exit from function _start,
> >                     which has no line number information.
> >                     Software breakpoints not implemented for this target.
> >
> >     It told me that "Software breakpoints not implemented for this target",
> >     Can any one give me some suggestion of how to deal this problems?

Are you using XIP ?  Sounds like you may be running from ROM, and you
cannot set SW break points in ROM (the default breakpoint type). Check
out the following,  it might help:

        http://www.ucdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/01/30/0548223

The section on debugging applications is the most relevant,

Cheers,
Davidm

--
David McCullough, address@hidden  Ph:+61 7 34352815 http://www.SnapGear.com