gdb

[Gdb] remote target over TCP/IP

From: martin . bell
Subject: [Gdb] remote target over TCP/IP
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 14:19:55 +0000

Hi,

I am trying to set up a remote debugger using gdbserver over serial PPP.
The host is redhat 6.2 on i686 with GDB 4.18, and the target is a
StongARM with Familiar Linux 0.4. The target has gdbserver running on
it.

The actual PPP link is running fine and I have found in several docs gdb
can be done over TCP/IP using the following commands...

target> gdbserver host:port prog args

on the host:
(gdb) target remote the-target:port

I have also set up a gdbserver natively on the red-hat box and tried the
above using localhost:port for testing. Both fail in the same way other
than the gdbserver on the StrongARM target prints out "got an fp
register when there really isn't one".
here's what happens...

start the gdbserver...
$ gdbserver localhost:2345 sorttest 6
Process sorttest created; pid = 3046
Remote debugging using localhost:2345

start gdb....
$ gdb
GNU gdb 19991004......

(gdb) target remote localhost:2345
Remote debugging using localhost:2345
0x40001990 in ?? ()
(gdb) break main
No symbol table is loaded.  Use the "file" command.
(gdb) r 7
The program being debugged has been started already.
Start it from the beginning? (y or n)

If anyone can help or point me in the right direction I would be very
grateful.

Martin.