gdb-discuss

Re: [Gdbheads] proposed change to GDB maintainership rules

From: Jim Blandy
Subject: Re: [Gdbheads] proposed change to GDB maintainership rules
Date: 29 Jan 2004 14:33:05 -0500

Ian Lance Taylor <address@hidden> writes:
> David Carlton <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On 28 Jan 2004 16:03:57 -0500, Ian Lance Taylor <address@hidden> said:
> >
> > > I'm not a gdb maintainer, but I do have a comment.  I don't think
> > > voting is a particularly good approach for maintaining a GNU
> > > program.
> >
> > Do you have examples of other projects that have used voting?
>
> No, I don't.  Does anybody?

The process used by the Apache group using voting; that process has
been used by other projects as well, like Subversion.

It's hard to say whether a project's healthy review process is due to
its procedure, or to the amiability of the people who carry it out.
But those examples do show that voting is not incompatible.  And in
our situation, voting has the further advantage of encouraging
participants to be persuasive, not merely stubborn.