gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] gcmd-devel Digest, Vol 98, Issue 6

From: AM Gardner
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] gcmd-devel Digest, Vol 98, Issue 6
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2014 01:57:09 -0500

On 12/24/2013 12:00 PM, address@hidden wrote:
Dear users of GNOME Commander,

Some days ago I got a GNOME developer account so I was able to commit
all the code changes made at GitHub into the GNOME Git repository of
GCMD.

So I'm happy to inform you that GNOME Commander 1.2.8.16 is released,
which fixes some bugs and I think will be the last release before GNOME
Commander 1.4.

You can have a look at all the changes in the source code at
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-commander/log/?h=gcmd-1-2-8

There have been only small changes and code optimization since GCMD
1.2.8.15, most of them came from Piotr.

First, let me say a big 'Thank You!' to all those who helped with this update. Fantastic to see it. I think GCMD is the best file manager available, and very under appreciated. To that point, I'd like to suggest that this release be announced on other linux lists (eg, ubuntu-users) to maybe increase awareness of GCMD.

Second, I'd like to share my experience installing the upgrade on XUbuntu 12.10. All the following come with the caveat that I am not a computer expert, just an average user, so forgive as necessary. Maybe this will help others - it is one of the great things about linux - most problems can actually be solved by ordinary users, unlike other operating systems, with the help of the user base. And so I'm happy to have a chance to contribute my little bit. I followed the 'simple install' instructions in the readme file.

Installing the update was a bit of a pain. Specifically, './configure' failed because of wrong versions of gtk+, libgnome, and glib. Figuring out how to fix these errors wasn't easy for me. I couldn't find the needed packages (based on the names given in the error messages) in synaptic. I eventually plodded through the docs supplied with the update and found the file "gnome-commander.spec". It gave more exact package names, at least for libgnome and glib. To get a newer version of GTK+ I installed gnome-devel (~500MB!) - I found that from a google search. So I was set and ran ./configure again with no problems. 'Make' however ran and ran and ran - I was pretty sure I was seeing the same messages over and over, and my /home space decreased by ~200MB. I killed it. I could not find where that space went, so have not yet recovered it. I ran 'sudo make' on my next try. It ran, and I started to see different messages than I saw with just 'make'. It finished, no errors, and Voila!! GCMD 1.2.8.16 up and running, with all my customizations intact.

I have a handful of GCMD 'anomalies', collected over a couple years of use, that I'll figure out how to report. But again, thank you for this update. I have very seldom been so pleased with a piece of software as I am with GCMD.

AMG