gcmd-devel

[gcmd-dev] safe advrename

From: Michael
Subject: [gcmd-dev] safe advrename
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 16:19:41 +0200

Just to ensure - what exactly is advrename doing when there are already files
with the same name ?

When you renumber

        file-01
        file-02
        file-03

        file-02
        file-03
        file-04

it will rename only file-03 to file-04.

So it appears only those are renamed which are 'possible' w/o overwriting any
file.
Is that waterproof and solid as rock ;) ?

Such a case is almost always an error on the users side so she wants to correct
the template. But after such a mis-naming, files which were already in some
order often are totally screwed. So what would be done, in the ideal world we
don't live in ? The renaming would only be 'simulated' (with those problem
cases highlighted in red) and a popup would ask 'Some files can not be renamed.
Do you really want to continue ?' and then you can choose 'continue without
overwriting any file' (may we make that 'do what is possible' ?) and 'Cancel'
('Lemme try again!!').

Now since we've more serious things to talk about, this is not a feature
request. It's just for the records.