gcmd-devel

[gcmd-dev] mimetype applications configuration

From: Michael
Subject: [gcmd-dev] mimetype applications configuration
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 19:33:01 +0200

(1)

It looks like both KDE and Gnome read the
~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list file.
They ignore defaults.list and mimeinfo.cache, in this folder.

However, in global /usr/share/applications/ it is mimeinfo.cache which is
valued, and updated.
This file seems to be used by gcmd, too, for global setting. But in the users
~/.local/share/applications/ it is defaults.list only, which gcmd uses.

I am not 100% sure about all this, namely, what happens when one or the other
file is absent, but at least this is my result from some minutes of testing.

I think defaults.list is obsolete, it is renamed to mimeapps.list, while
mimeinfo.cache is the global file.

(2)

Any folder within the applications folder containing a group of applications,
like the kde4 folder, is referenced like

image/x-dcraw=kde4-dngconverter.desktop

for the file dngconverter.desktop in the applications/kde4 folder.