gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] Cleaning the source tree

From: Piotr Eljasiak
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] Cleaning the source tree
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 00:04:05 +0200

> It's been a while since I discovered this - well, since the beginning ;)
> - and I didn't care about it but it annoys me now.
>
> When you download the sources from SVN repository, compiles GNOME
> Commander and then do a "make distclean", it sure does clean the tree,
> removing all generated stuff but it leaves some modified files and this
> is baaaaad ;)
>
> After a cleaning of the source tree, a "svn diff" *should* not show
> anything. It's a normal behaviour since the source tree should logically
> be strictly equal to the SVN tree. However, this is not the case with
> this project !
>
> Check this out :
>
> $ svn checkout svn://svn.gnome.org/svn/gnome-commander/branches/gcmd-1-3
> [...]
> $ cd gcmd-1.3
> $ ./autogen.sh
> [...]
> $ make -j 5 CFLAGS="-g" CXXFLAGS="-g"
> [...]
> $ make distclean
> $ svn diff|wc -l
> 311

In my case - it's 249 lines only ;o) And for trunk it's even less...

> So, even after a complete cleaning of the source tree, we still have
> differences between working copy and latest svn revision !

This is because some files:

        m4/intltool.m4
        m4/gnome-doc-utils.m4
        mkinstalldirs
        omf.make

are updated from local files and thus are dependent on installed
packages versions. You can ignore this warning.

> Worse ! We still have differences *after* an update !!!
>
> $ svn update
> Restored 'gnome-doc-utils.make'
> Restored 'README'
> At revision 824.

This is real. Files 'gnome-doc-utils.make' and 'README' are deleted
during 'make distclean' and without fetching them back ./autogen.sh is
not working. I'll have a look at it.

Piotr