gcl-devel

Re: macOS status

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: macOS status
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 11:10:32 -0500

Greetings, and thanks for your helpful reply!

"Chun Tian (binghe)" <binghe.lisp@gmail.com> writes:

> Greetings!
>
> I haven't tried to build Axiom for long time on Linux (I'm trying with
> GCL 2.6.14 and Debian 12 now). On macOS, currently the only GCL version
> I succeeded in building Axiom (and GCL itslef!) is GCL 2.6.12 release
> (with a little Axiom patches), on Mac OS X 10.6 Server. Then the
> resulting Axiom binaries can run normally on all macOS versions after
> 10.6, including the latest 14 (Sonoma).

Please note that the Debian AXIOM package has some patches to enable it
to build with an external GCL.  You can find these in debian/patches.

> The problem is that unmodified macOS cannot run in VirtualBox running on
> Linux/Windows - it's forbidden by Apple. If you try to upgrade your
> working macOS virtual machine to a new version by running the downloaded
> macOS installer from Apple official, I'm almost 100% sure that it won't
> reboot normally after the installation...

This alone should be reason enough to abandon Apple and its products.
We are building an edifice on a foundation of sand which at any moment
can be pulled from under our feet by an external commercial entity with
its own interests.  I am stunned at the patience developers exhibit
chasing this uncertainty.  There truly must be some killer app somewhere
tying their hands.

(For several years the cell phone was the bane of my open source soul,
but I'm quite happy to report that Mobian on the Pinephone is working
quite well for me now.  Now on to the OS of my electric car .... :-))

> On the other hand, no matter what macOS version you have in your working
> VirtualBox VM, if you can make the GCL 2.7.0 (and perhaps the 2.6.x
> branch) build and run successfully, I think by large chances it may also
> work on other macOS versions without any modifications.

It seems I have catalina, whatever that is, and clang 12.0.0.  Some
bizarre dysfunctional version of awk and sed which I am working around
now.  Something called xcode-select which is asking for a software
update, which I take from your wise advise I should never pursue.  No
xlib/tcl, so no xgcl.  And clang cannot do gprof.  But I am happy to
report I can build the standard system in this virtualbox, and can place
a tarball somewhere if desired.  External gmp works.

If someone can instruct me how to get gcc (as opposed to clang) and
xlib/tcl without breaking anything that would be great.  I understand it
will have to be a by hand install.  gdb is asking to be 'codesigned'
which rings some vague bell in my memory, so instructions appreciated
here too.

Will followup separately on Macports, of which I know nothing.

Debian Build-Dependencies:

Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 13), libeditreadline-dev, m4, tk8.6-dev,
libgmp-dev, libxmu-dev, libxaw7-dev, po-debconf, zlib1g-dev, tcl, texinfo
Build-Depends-Indep: dh-elpa

Take care,

--
Camm Maguire                                        camm@maguirefamily.org