gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] GCL 2.6.11 on Mac OS X Yosemite

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] GCL 2.6.11 on Mac OS X Yosemite
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2016 18:57:31 -0800

Reviving a 2-year old thread...

On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 10:33 PM, Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> wrote:

On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 4:48 PM, Camm Maguire <address@hidden> wrote:
Greetings!

Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> writes:

> Camm:
>
> Lawrence fixed the Macports port of GCL-2.6.12 so I was able to install it.

Great!  How?

From what I can see, the changes are:

Lawrence, is that all?

> The next thing, though, is that GCL appears not to be work properly with Clang on this platform -- Clang is the default system compiler on new
> versions on Mac OS X.
>
> For example, I tried to build OpenAxiom with it, but was stumped by:
>
> Finished compiling core.lisp.
>
> gcl \
>
> -eval '(load "core")' \
>
> -eval '(|AxiomCore|::|link| "base-lisp" (quote nil) "|AxiomCore|::|topLevel|")'
>
> Unrelocated non-local symbol: ___stack_chk_fail

This is due to a cflag mismatch.  For example, on Debian, by policy, gcl
is built with

"gcc -c -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security
-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2  -Wall -fsigned-char -Wno-unused-but-set-variable
-pipe "

All modules (to be loaded) should be built with the same flags.  My
guess here is that the module had the stack protector, but not the
default gcl build.

OK; so if I understand correctly, you would recommend that Macports adds

   -fstack-protector-strong -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2

to its portfile for  GCL's?

Camm: could you confirm that this is what you recommend MacPorts does for its port of GCL?

Thanks,

-- Gaby