gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] What do the times represent

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] What do the times represent
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 20:27:53 -0400

Greetings!

Blake McBride <address@hidden> writes:

> When building GCL I get messages like this:
>
> real time       :     32.630 secs
> run-gbc time    :     26.180 secs
> child run time  :      2.259 secs
> gbc time        :      4.119 secs
>
> I know what "real time" is.  What do the other times represent?

child time -- time spent in forked children, mostly gcc.
gbc time -- garbage collection time
run-gbc time -- time spent in GCL proper outside of garbage collection.

> In particular, I am wondering about "run-gbc time" and "gbc time".  If "gbc"
> is garbage collection, I am wondering if there is some parameter that
> can be set for building the system using a larger heap so that their are
> fewer - or no - garbage collections.  If my interpretations are correct,
> this could drastically speed system build time.

What the figures above show is that one might save ~12% if gc could be
eliminated entirely.  Indeed, there are many settings which affect this
proportion, including the pre-allocation of various memory types.  One
might have a large image for system building, and a minimal final image
for final use, as it is generally desirable to minimize the disk image
and not guess what the user's memory demands are likely to be.  I'm
skeptical that 'drastic' savings are possible.

Take care,