gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] [Maxima-discuss] gcl ansification steps

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] [Maxima-discuss] gcl ansification steps
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 18:06:45 -0400

Greetings!

Raymond Toy <address@hidden> writes:

>     Camm> Ideally I'd like gcl releases to 'just work' on a range of maxima
>     Camm> releases in the past up to the present.  I'm wondering what the
> best way
>     Camm> to build in some backward compatibility into gcl, and also into
> maxima
>     Camm> should it modify the existing code but wish to support earlier
> versions
>     Camm> of gcl.
>
> I don't have a good answer for this, but I noticed that in recent
> releases gcl now has ensure-directories-exist.  I recently modified
> maxima (defsystem.lisp in particular) so that defsystem doesn't use
> it's own hack for ensure-directories-exist if gcl already has one.
>
> I also don't think it's your responsibility for maxima to be able to
> run with new and old versions of maxima.  I think it's maxima's

presumably new and old gcl...

> problem to decide what versions it wants to run on.  Having said that,
> any help from you in this area would be appreciated.

Well, what I'd like to do is have one pristine :cl package with nickname
:lisp.  I could instead make another package :lisp using :cl and add
what maxima expects as a transitory step.  But it sounds like I should
just introduce the incompatibility and have people upgrade.  This would
mean that 2.6.12 would not compile 5.34.1 out of the box.  This need not
complicate Debian/Ubuntu packaging, as I can release the small patches
required as well.

As for Windows, we suffer as does maxima from an easy way to make
stand-alone installers.  I do have access to a Windows 7 machine and
would be happy to do it if someone could provide simple instructions,
with the proviso of course that I won't be able to chase down any
installation problems on different os versions, etc.

Take care,