gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Can't compile latest GCL on Ubuntu 14.04

From: Faré
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Can't compile latest GCL on Ubuntu 14.04
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 00:34:45 -0400

> No -- stick with master, for the extra level of ansi compliance you require.

OK.

>> I had defpackage woes before on GCL, and that looks like a regression,
>> although I haven't recorded which combination of GCL and ASDF worked
>> before — or whether indeed it was plainly loading asdf.o.
>
> Don't think anything has changed here recently.  Please excuse my fading
> memory, but if you could provide a simple transcript showing how you got
> your sources, how they were built, and the command you are running which
> fails, it would help me greatly.

OK. So the good news is that (compile-file "build/asdf.lisp") works
and produces a asdf.o that allows me to (require :asdf) if moved to
(uiop:subpathname system:*system-directory* "../modules/")

The bad news... I don't know. I saw a lot of compiler errors, but I
can't reproduce them anymore since I last updated asdf.o this way, so
I'll ascribe failures to some unknown manipulation error I may have
done at some point. I'll bug you again if anything happens.

So... ASDF 3.1.3.9 seems to works on GCL, and passes all tests (except
those specifically disabled, like for logical-pathnames). I invite you
to include asdf.lisp and/or separate uiop.lisp and asdf.lisp in the
GCL distribution — at present 3.1.3.9, but soon 3.1.4 when it's
released.

> I have a complete rewrite of the logical-pathname stuff just for you
> lying about, waiting for me to finalize acl2 on stable for a while.

Wonderful.

When you have time, please note all the other GCL bugs in the asdf/TODO file.

Documentation is worth it just to be able to answer all your mail with 'RTFM'.
        — Alan Cox