gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Updated directions for building Win32 GCL using Git and

From: Sergei Haramundanis
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Updated directions for building Win32 GCL using Git and MinGW (with GCC 4.8.1)
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2013 21:30:39 -0500

On 12/24/2013 08:28 PM, David Billinghurst wrote:
On 25/12/2013 10:36 AM, Sergei Haramundanis wrote:
On 12/21/2013 07:47 PM, David Billinghurst wrote:
On 22/12/2013 8:18 AM, Sergei Haramundanis wrote:
Mr. Winiecki,

Posting this to let you know that the latest version of "Build Win32 GCL using Git & GCC481 (11132013).pdf" is very accurate and worked flawlessly for me on Windows XP Pro SP3 32-bit to build GCL 2.6.10 ANSI. I will be building this as well on Windows 7 64-bit.

I also want to inquire about redistribution of ./gcl/unixport/saved_ansi_gcl.exe as I want to execute GCL 2.6.10 on Windows that does not have MinGW installed.

Is it correct that to redistribute GCL 2.6.10 on Windows, all that is required is to provide this executable or are other libraries required to be included in the distribution package?

I understand that BDF fasloading, Stratified Garbage Collection (SGC), readline and GCL-TK will not function as per your document, but as I am building TCP/IP socket-based GCL components, will not specifically need them or their libraries. I am designing the GCL components in this manner primarily for ease of integration with multi-tier web applications and to separate the presentation layer from GCL components.

Thank you for your fine efforts to provide this valuable document to the community and thanks for any information you can provide.

Sergei
Sergei,

I build and distribute the maxima package for windows, based on gcl.

I need to distribute libgmp-10.dll, as I use the system gmp libraries. You probably won't require this, as gcl-2.6.10 requires a patch for this to work.

If you want your redistributed gcl to compile lisp, you need to include parts of the gcc compiler. The makefile http://sourceforge.net/p/maxima/code/ci/master/tree/Makefile.am has the details. Just ask if you require further info.

David

David,

Thanks very much for the Maxima build reference. Given the dynamic nature of GCL, it makes sense that a gcc compiler and related components need to be available.

Along with gcc, it looks like the following libraries and executables are also necessary:

MinGW (Minimalist GNU for Windows)
TCL (Tool Command Language)
Assembler
GNU Multiple Precision Arithmetic Libraries
Clozure Common Lisp

I'll use this as a reference for a prototype distribution and give it a try.

Given that my distribution package will require sockets, it looks like I'm going to have to build CLOCC and include those libraries as well. Any information you have on that would also be appreciated.

Thanks again for your consideration and support!

Sergei

You need the assembler. You don't need TCL or closure common lisp. I will have a closer look tomorrow (after xmas).

It turns out si::socket is already available w/GCL so I won't need CLOCC either.

I looked for gzip data compression capabilities as well, but couldn't find them so please let me know if I'm missing something.

Thanks for your help and Happy Holidays!