gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] subprojects

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] subprojects
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 13:19:22 -0500

Greetings!

Bruce-Robert writes:

> >     Camm> Greetings!  We provide a convenience copy of gmp in our sources
> > in all
> >     Camm> versions, and one of binutils in master.  I'm asking here for
> > advice on
> >     Camm> how to manage these using git.  Ideally we'd just eliminate them,
> > but I
> >
> > If gmp and binutils are using git, you can use git submodules, I
> > think. This may also work even if gmp and binutils are not using git.

How does this work in the non-git case?  Can't find any info here.

> I've some experience with submodules, if you'd like to run that route,
> I may be able to iron out any bumps; the biggest "gotcha" is generally
> to commit (and push) any changes in the submodule first, then push the
> containing project, so it's updated with the newly committed ID. If
> you're merely tracking upstream, that's less likely to be an issue.

gmp uses 'hg' (mercurial?), but binutils is a git project.  All I want
to do is to be able to ship the latest tarballs at release time, and
avoid huge diffs in gcl's git.  Advice?  Should there be anything in
gcl's git at all?

Take care,